Exploring XML

Dear Framers,

My workgroup is researching how we might use XML with FrameMaker and other
web-development and documentation tools to move towards more easily updated
and searchable documentation for intranet access as well as print.

Searching the web for white papers and case studies has mostly identified
SGML documents. SGML demands more resources than are foreseeably available
for our effort. Our docs range from two-page service bulletins to 400-page
FrameMaker documents, all of which are currently available electronically
but in varying formats (PDF, HTML, Word files). We think, from our early
investigations, that updating documents incrementally using XML could
significantly improve document accuracy and speed doc delivery.

I've started by printing off some of the recent Framers discussions that
touch on XML in passing. We've already hunted through the W3 org site and
other online techno sources; what we need is the bigger picture questions
and issues that usually come from pioneer users. I'd be interested in
comments from any of you that may shed light on our research: existing
software that supports XML, simple models for using XML, and similar
information.

Please email me any information, leads, comments, and experience you have.
I'll summarize for the list.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Deborah Snavely
consulting at Visa