RE: It Stinks - Reply

Dina, Sarah's point is very important, and well-worth fussing about.

I, too, work with engineers as a contract writer. At every job, Visio has
been the preferred tool for tech drawings and flowcharts, which must be
imported into Frame.

You are using the latest version. But we already paid to upgrade just last
fall, only to be confronted with a whole new set of incompatibility problems
between our standard software and Frame 5.53. These included not importing
Visio files, not importing certain types of graphics without pixellation,
not being able to make those .pdf conversions without using a workaround
(learned from this list), and worst of all, not being able to import a file
from Word97 without first converting it to .rtf format.

It's really not helpful to say "our engineers don't use Visio" or "I don't
know what the fuss is about; I can convert Visio using v5.56." The fact is,
Sarah CAN'T, and I CAN'T, and a whole bunch of other people can't get what
they want and should be able to get from Frame.

When I called Adobe Support to get help, they simply suggested I PAY for and
upgrade to v5.56. Now, mind you, I had JUST upgraded a couple of weeks
before to v5.53. How well do you think my manager would accept that as a
solution to the troubles? Pay for an upgrade, use it two weeks, find out it
doesn't work in a few very important ways, and then pay for another
upgrade... I don't wonder when people look for conspiracy theories in
Adobe's camp.

Whether or not you like his style, Dan Emory has made good and valid
arguments here about Adobe's attitude. Mark Hilton, relative newcomer and
Adobe good guy, wants us to work together to identify and fix problems. But
I think Adobe needs to give those of us who've suffered something first. How
about a fix disk for all the problems people have encountered in versions
before 5.56? How about if we get that right now, instead of having to wait
endlessly?

Adobe needs to put its customer service where its mouth is. It's impossible
to bash a company that puts out a great product and follows up with
excellent customer service.

Diane