Re: It Stinks - Reply

Paul Schulte wrote:

> I had to respond to this. Heavily snipped
>
> Sarah Stegall <stegall@terayon.com> wrote on this thread
>
> >EVERY TECHNOLOGY FIRM I HAVE WORKED FOR OVER THE PAST FIVE
> >YEARS USES VISIO. Period.
>
> >Also, you need to support AutoCAD drawings better--often a
> >schematic or a diagram will be plucked out of a CAD drawing
> >for an illustration in a technical manual.  What I do NOT
> >find happening is engineers drawing illustrations or diagrams
> >in Frame.  They don't use Frame, by and large.
>
> Too general -- there are exceptions to "this rule."

> Many posters always assume their experience is the only
> valid experience. Bad, bad assumption.

I never said it was a rule.  I said it was my
experience.  It's no lie: every technology firm
I've worked for over the last five years has used
Visio.  The largest of these firms was 150
people.  Most of them are start-ups. They have
included manufacturers, mechanical engineers,
electronic engineers, programmers, toxicologists,
materials experts, even naval and aeronautical
engineers.  They're not large, they don't have
huge budgets, and they tend to hire young
engineers who don't have a lot of experience
outside of college. These young
engineers/programmers come on board knowing MS
Word and, if I'm lucky, Visio.  Management doesn't
want to spend the time and money training these
folks to use Frame or AutoCAD.  I am not going to
argue over the wisdom of their decisions, I am
just reporting my own experience.  I did not
assume my experience is the norm.  I merely stated
it.

And what's so wrong about asking Frame to support
the direct importation of Visio?
--
Sarah Stegall                 ||  Senior Technical Writer
Terayon Communication Systems ||  stegall@terayon.com