Re: It Stinks - Reply

I had to respond to this. Heavily snipped

Sarah Stegall <stegall@terayon.com> wrote on this thread

>EVERY TECHNOLOGY FIRM I HAVE WORKED FOR OVER THE PAST FIVE YEARS USES VISIO. Period.

>Also, you need to support AutoCAD drawings better--often a schematic or a diagram will be plucked out of a CAD drawing for an illustration in a technical manual.  What I do NOT find happening is engineers drawing illustrations or diagrams in Frame.  They don't use Frame, by and large.

Too general -- there are exceptions to "this rule."

My whole job for 6 years has been to support the engineering community (both design and manufacturing) at Medtronic. I have to import a Visio drawing maybe once a year. I have had to import AutoCad, ProEngineer, Cadence Composer a zillion times by comparison.

And in fact, these design engineers I support (chemical, mechanical, electrical, software) use FrameMaker very often to write their documentation. These projects can be Frame books of 100 chapters, with 25 auto-generated. Many illustrate directly in Frame. For many projects the engineers themselves prefer Frame.

Many posters always assume their experience is the only valid experience. Bad, bad assumption.

Paul K. Schulte
Medtronic, Inc.