RE: It Stinks

Dear Mark

I was very interested to hear what you had to say and appreciate that
you responded to the Debate "It Stinks". I am from Australia and we
Framers, Creative Acrobat publishers and Capture users are rather thin
on the ground over here so we have had to become resourceful to say the
least. Oh there are a few things that you just can't figure out through
a email forum.

I have been out there wearing holes in my soles not just for my business
but also preaching the virtues of Frame. Although we are only a mouse
size market compared to the elephant size USA, I understand your point
about number of licenses and users being the key to success. My company
has invested a lot into the type of things that only Frame can do and
are very, very keen to know where FrameMaker is going and hope there is
a sustainable future.

Principally we develop virtual document libraries for network
applications and CD-ROMs, and this makes up over 50% of the entire work
we have done in recent times. The published format we produce our
libraries in, is PDF.  The only manageable product that can support this
task well at the moment is Frame. To create our subject and catalogue
systems we have developed SQL program applications that interact with
templates designed in Frame MIF, that now allows us to develop large,
complex but simple to use virtual document systems from printed
material, microfiche, any electronic file and even in some cases all of
them in one go. Probably the most important thing about our virtual
Library system is we can produce them a lot more efficiently and cheaper
that any other document management system around.

The point of my response is FrameMaker as a product really can hold it
own in that great Universal software market place out there. All it
really needs is for us the users and you the vendor to work together to
develop it and maybe explore and chart its great unknown potential.
Then maybe, just maybe we can avoid Frame and all of us slipping into a
great big black hole like Microslosh.

The mouse has roared!!

regards

Chris Toogood