Re: FM -> HTML

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 23:49:01 +0000, Peter Morris
<peter@manualcom.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I have looked at WWP, and can say that its interface put me off. I want
>to select the output method and click a button. I, of course, want the
>option of customising it, but I want it to do the job straight from the
>box, without a large learning curve on my part. This probably excludes
>mif2rtf, which I have never seen, let alone tried to use.

No, it doesn't!  It's exactly the way we designed mif2rtf.  For the Word
output, you really can run using only defaults, and get a reasonable
looking result immediately.  Then you can tune it a couple hundred ways,
but you only do that as you have the time and inclination.

For WinHelp, there's a little more to it.  But even there, the FDK
part actually analyzes your use of formats in your book, and sets
up reasonable definitions for them automatically.  Then you can run,
see what it did, and correct any misunderstandings it had.

>For HTML, I just save as HTML from FM, and then change it all in
>Dreamweaver, as I have to use such things as image maps and Jave.

You can make the HTML right out of the box too; in almost all cases,
it will look a lot like the FM doc on the first try.  Again, as you
notice things you want different, you can tweak settings.  You can
also make a "macro library" of your image maps and javascript, then
specify where they go within the FM file itself.  That gives you a
head start when you get into Dreamweaver, which is a very good tool.

Let us know if you'd like to see what one of your files looks like
after conversion using just defaults.  We think you'll be impressed.

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **