Re: InDesign and Frame

> (4) I cannot comment on the web page, but maybe FrameMaker users
> are considered to be too sophisticated to be woo'ed by flash-and-glitter
> on the home page.

I think you overestimate us. I think many of us would find it heart warming
to see Frame mentioned at least in passing. I generally don't take it as a
good sign when a product isn't marketed on the company's home page.

I've gone through this issue of perceptions regarding Frame at my company
and I don't doubt that it happens elsewhere. While we, the users, may feel
that any money spent on Frame licenses is well spent, we often aren't the
ones making purchase decisions.

If Adobe were seen promoting Frame strongly, perhaps its adoption would
become more ubiquitous. I understand that the market for FrameMaker is much
smaller than for Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/GoLive/Acrobat/etc., but I'd
bet that most of Frame's market remains untapped. There are plenty of people
using MS Word who should be using Frame.

As I see it there are two big obstacles to wider adoption of Frame (and both
can be blamed on Adobe):

1. A lot of people have never even heard of FrameMaker. Of those that have,
most don't know what it's really good for -- they think Word can do anything
Frame can do without the additional software and training costs. Or, they
think that it's only for huge technical pubs departments of massive
corporations.

2. The common perception that Adobe's commitment to Frame's future is
questionable. Whether this is true or not is almost irrelevant -- perception
is all that counts. A lot of companies aren't willing to make an investment
in expensive software they think won't be supported, developed and updated.

Adam Korman