Globally tag a word with a char tag

I'm looking for a way to globally apply a specific character tag
to every occurrence of a particular word in a book.

I tried applying the target character format to the first occurrence
of the target word in the book, then using Edit->Copy Special->Character Format
to copy the format to the Clipboard. Then I went ahead and started pasting
from the Clipboard using Find/Replace and "By Pasting". That applies
the character tag all right, but it also applies all the character
attributes of the specific instance that I selected when I did
Edit->Copy Special->Character Format. Since the character tag I'm
applying has most of its attributes set to "As Is", this is not the
behavior I'm looking for.

(For example, I used Copy Special on a word already tagged with the target
 character format that just happened to be 14pt Bold, but the character tag
 itself has font size and weight set to "As Is". When I Find/Replace By Pasting
 to body text that is 10pt Plain, the text does indeed get tagged with the
 character tag but also gets converted to 14pt Bold.)

On the other hand, if I use Find/Replace with To Character Format, I can set
the attributes I don't want changed to As Is so I change only the attributes
I want changed. However, the words to which I apply these changes don't get
tagged with any sort of character tag (which is no surprise, since the dialog
box that pops up when you select To Character Format doesn't let you select a
character format).

Is there a way in the standard FM interface to do what I'm trying to do?

Ezra