Re: A solution to the Footnote/Endnote Problem

At 11:13 AM 3/1/99 -0800, Lindsey Thomas Martin wrote:
>Dan,
>
>This is a very interesting approach and demonstrates, if nothing else, that
>adversity brings forth ingenuity. Fie upon Adobe for making it necessary.
>----------------------Snip
>Practical question: are you using your method with balanced spreads?
1. My test bed for evaluating the feasibility of this approach is a book
file containing two one-page files. Each file begins with an autonumbered
Title paragraph, and this paragraph tag is included in the generated LOP.
The autonumbering specification for the TitleLOP paragraph on the LOP
reference page increments the chapter number counter and resets the footnote
counter so that footnote numbering is restarted at 1 for each file.

2. The first file has a two-column layout with feathering and balance
columns both turned on. The second file has a one-column layout with
feathering turned on.

3. If, in the file with the balanced two-column layout, a page has footnotes
in one column and no (or fewer) footnote lines in the second column, then
the non-footnote text in the two columns doesn't balance. However, if I make
the footnote paragraph span both text columns, then the non-footnote text in
the two columns does balance, and all of the footnotes in both columns
appear in the correct order at the bottom of the text frame.

4. The page in the test file with the 2-column layout has 3 footnotes in the
first column, and 4 in the second column. In both columns, one of the
footnote references is placed in the last text line of the column. The text
for all seven footnotes appears correctly at the bottom of the text frame
(i.e., no migration of footnotes to the second page occurs).
     | Nullius in Verba |
Dan Emory, Dan Emory & Associates
10044 Adams Ave. #208, Huntington Beach, CA 92646