RE: Booklet in FM

>I am not convinced, however, that FrameMaker can't handle the flows
>and numbering much as it would for discontiguous articles that appear
>in newsletters or small-format newspapers.  I'd have to experiment
>with some of the scenarios in Chapter 11 of the current manual, since
>there is no explicit information regarding saddle-stitched booklets
>such as Dina is attempting to make, but I suspect that it is possible
>to do this in FrameMaker.  Frankly, if it isn't, then it should be!

Framers, Dina,

It's possible. I've done it, in Frame 4.0.4/Mac and Frame 5.1.1/Mac and
Frame 5.5.x/Mac. It's a pain, but a manageable pain. The big limitation is,
you DON'T want to lay out the fussy version of the document until AFTER all
your content and pagination breaks and copy-fitting are final, final, final.
Frame will let you look at two-page spreads, but only when your page-to-page
flows are sequential, and that makes it difficult to put figures opposite
text in the final format. 	So to make this work, you need one doc
formatted to custom size: 5.5 by 8.5 portrait, with room for whatever
headers and footers and first pages, etc., you need. Author the doc there,
see how many pages it comes out to, adjust to suit yourself and the fact
that a booklet of this format demands a total page count divisible by 4 (add
blank inside back cover, front cover, etc, as needed).
	And then you need a second document with two flows, formatted to
landscape 11 x 8.5 with the two-frames-per-page layout and flows A and B (B
containing the virtual page numbers) all carefully connected in the fabulous
zig-zag of composition for a saddle-stitched booklet. (A trick for keeping
your layout correct: the sum of both page numbers on a spread will always
equal the total number of pages plus one.) Set your layout file to the
correct number of pages (if doing this a lot, create templates for 12, 16,
20, 24, 28, 32... pages).
	Finally, import the body flow from the main source doc into the
correct-length layout document, and double-check that you did your layout
work right with a test print. I've done this by brute force and ignorance in
the past, but these days, I'd tackle it as above.

Deborah Snavely
dsnavely@visa.com
disclaimers apply