Re: More on access to fonts

Walter,

This is a bit of a long shot, but where did this problem font originally come
from?  Because FM does some font stuff that goes beyond what other programs
do, it could be that you have a cheap/nasty font -- there are many out there
-- that has some kind of internal "configuration" (my term) problem.

I have encountered this regularly with PS fonts that were supplied some years
ago with what used to be called an imagesetter (remember when good lasers were
"imagesetters"?).

I have been able to 'open' and clean up these PS fonts so that they will
function properly.  Though I make no claim to be a TT font expert, I can give
it a shot if you would like to email the TT file(s) to me.

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com

The Press for History(tm), The Press for Education(tm),
The Press for [Your Industry](tm), The Press for....(tm)
  On-demand printing and binding of hardbound books.
  Minimum run one copy.

P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991
Toll-Free Phone in US & Canada:
        1-800-447-8267
Fax: Int+US+336-376-6750

BrufusD@aol.com wrote:

> I sent the following message to this list last week and got back two messages,
> both of which said to try using Adobe Type Manager:
>
> "Some of the fonts that are definitely installed on my PC, and are available
> me in Word and QuarkXpress, are not available in Frame. I'm most concerned
> about Lucida Casual. Does anyone know how I can get Frame to recognize it?"
>
> So I tried Adobe Type Manager, and when that didn't work I upgraded to Adobe
> Type Manager Deluxe and downloaded it for $69.95. But after going to all the
> trouble of reinstalling my true type fonts (with, I might add, quite scanty
> online documentation from ATM), FrameMaker still doesn't recognize Lucida
> Casual, while Word and QuarkXpress do. I even deleted Lucida Casual, copied it
> back in from a zip drive and reinstalled it.
>
> So I called FrameMaker technical support as part of Adobe's "free support for
> 90 days if you pay for the call" deal. And guess what? The tech support guy
> didn't know how to fix it either.
>
> Any more ideas out there?
>
> Yours,
>
> Walter Crockett