Non-sentence-ending punctuation

Hi,

(FM 556 on Win95)

We are working on a book that is just full of abbreviations -- the best one is
D.W.I. (that's Danish West Indies -- what did you think?).

It SEEMS that FM is using assumptions that such punctuation is the end of a
sentence. Am I correct?  It SEEMS to me that in full-justified text, there is
more spread between the "I." and the next word than there is between two
"normal" words.

If I used a hard space after that "I.", then the justification looks stupid in
the other direction -- that word space would be significantly less than the
others.

Any thoughts or comments?

Or am I just expecting (hoping for) too much in the way of typographical
options?

Adobe -- Since you are already mapping the heck out of every character in the
file, consider allowing the flagging of such situations for treatment as
non-sentence-ending.

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: jay@jaysmith.com

The Press for History(tm), The Press for Education(tm),
The Press for [Your Industry](tm), The Press for....(tm)
  On-demand printing and binding of hardbound books.
  Minimum run one copy.

P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991