Re: The plot thickens. re: Sort order in TOC?

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:36:16 -0800, "Rowena Hart" <rhart@xcert.com> wrote:

>I checked autoconnect, section numbering, paragraph tags,
>and the Include/Don't Include options.  I've had no luck fixing
>the TOC for my book.
>
>I'll try to be more specific about the problem -- maybe I'm not
>describing it correctly.  What I see in the TOC is incorrect sort
>order for Chapter Title and Heading styles, but ONLY FOR THE
>FIRST PAGE of the chapter.  The sort order is correct for the
>remaining pages of the chapter.  So, for example, if the first
>page of the chapter has the following elements:
>
>Chapter 1: Introduction to the Power Widget
>Heading 1: Widget Features
>Heading 2: Widget Feature #1
>Heading 2: Widget Feature #2
>
>Then, in the TOC I will see:
>
>Widget Features ......1
>    Widget Feature #1......1
>    Widget Feature #2......1
>Chapter 1: Introduction to the Power Widget......1
>
>What else could be causing this problem?  Any more ideas?

Is the chapter title in a separate text frame, or in a table,
or anchored frame, perhaps?  The contents of such frames is
scanned for TOC after the contents of the main text frame,
which would explain what you see.

One workaround is to repeat the chapter title, as you want it
in the TOC, at the start of the body text frame.  Make it small
(4pt) and white so it doesn't show, and include its tag rather
than the one for the real chapter title in your TOC process.
You might be able to make its content an xref to the real title;
I haven't tried that, it's just a thought to ease revision pains.

   (jeremy@omsys.com)     http://www.omsys.com/
** To subscribe to Free Framers, email the message **
** body "subscribe framers" to majordomo@omsys.com **