Serach index not available

OK, I know this isn't a Frame issue, but please bear with me...

We generate a search index file for our PDF files using
Acrobat Catalog on Windows NT. This works well on Windows.
However, when we try to open and use the same index for
the UNIX version of Acrobat, it doesn't work.
All efforts of selecting and adding the search index file
results in the message "the index is not available".

We have checked the trouble-shooting advice, and none of
the conditions apply. The network is OK, the index file
is there, has the correct permissions, etc.
Why can't the file be opened on UNIX?

Thomas Michanek, Documentation Manager, Telelogic Tau
Telelogic AB, Teknikringen 9, SE-58330 Linkoping, SWEDEN
PHONE/FAX:  +46 (0)13 200656/212166
EMAIL:  mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telelogic.com
WWW 1:  http://www.telelogic.com
WWW 2:  http://hem1.passagen.se/framers