Weird Font Breakup and Possible Solution (LONG)

Frameux et Frameuses:

A client came to me with a document that was okay most of the time but
would start to break up the type in weird ways.  For example, at 100 % zoom
10 pt type would look like 14 pt type at 10 pt line spacing, with the
result that lines overlapped and could not be read, let alone edited.  Yet
the type looked okay at 400 % and printed out okay.  So line spacing,
character size, word and character spacing were preserved in the document
and just the display went crazy.

Other phenomena encountered separately or together included all type
changing to the default font (in this case Times Roman), character spacing
becoming random, and inexplicable gaps between lines.  But the document
always printed out okay.

Some TEMPORARY fixes we discovered:

@  Placing the cursor in a paragraph and choosing Update All in the Para
Designer sometimes fixed (a) just the type with that para tag, or (b) all
type, whether tagged with that para tag or another.

@  Moving a dialogue over the document then away caused the document to
refresh just the type previously covered by the dialogue correctly, while
leaving other type not covered still in a mess.

@  Pressing Ctl-l to refresh the window sometimes fixed the type, sometimes
not.

A more permanent fix involves the Preferences dialogue.  In FrameMaker 5.5
for 68xxx Macintoshes, the Preference dialogue includes an extra check box,
[X] Font Cache (or something like this).  [This is not present in my own
FrameMaker+SGML 5.5 for Power Macintosh!]  When this check box is
unchecked, the weird fonts go away.

Adobe also suggested that older fonts that do not conform to the latest
Type 1 specification may be problematic when the latest version of ATM is
used.

For what it is worth, the platform is:

@  FrameMaker 5.5
@  Mac OS 7.6.1
@  Quadra 840AV with 68040 processor
@  ATM 4.0.2, created Monday, 24 March 1997
@  The following PostScript fonts were the only fonts installed additional
to the system TrueType fonts Chicago, Monaco, and Geneva:

FuturTBol
FuturTBolObl
FuturTBoo
FuturTBooObl
FuturTExtBol
FuturTExtBolObl
FuturTLig
FuturTLigObl
GoudyHanD
URWBaskerT-Regu
URWBaskerT-Bold
URWBaskerT-ReguObli
URWBaskerT-BoldObli

The oldest of these fonts is 4 March 1994 and the most recent is 9
September 1995.

At the end of this message is the advice supplied by Adobe, none of which
worked.

If anybody has had a similar experience and can advise how he or she solved
it, we would be pathetically grateful.

Regards,
Hedley

ADOBE'S ADVICE

>From: Edan Mumford <aptechnician@adobesupport.com>
>To: "'m.ghaffurian@latrobe.edu.au'" <m.ghaffurian@latrobe.edu.au>
>Subject: FrameMaker and font display issue
>Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:44:48 -0800
>
>Hi Mary Ann,
>
>Please find below a guide to troubleshooting your font issue.
>
>Before you start please delete Framemaker and The Framemaker Preference
>file. Then reinstall frame and follow the steps below.
>
>Regards,
>
>Edan
>Adobe Support Centre
>

>***********************************
>

>The first step in troubleshooting font appearance is to determine the
>exact symptoms of the problem. Begin isolating the problem by applying
>another font to the text, then comparing how different fonts appear. Does
>only one Type 1 font appear jagged, do multiple Type 1 fonts appear
>jagged, or do all Type 1 fonts appear jagged?
>
>If one or more Type 1 fonts appear jagged, but others appear smooth, the
>problem may be caused by a damaged font or unavailable font files. If all
>your Type 1 fonts appear jagged, ATM is the most likely cause--it may be
>damaged or unable to locate one of its files.
>
>After you determine the exact symptoms of your font appearance problem,
>you have more clues to narrow down the cause of your problem, and you can
>begin troubleshooting your exact symptoms.
>

>ATM cannot display a Type 1 font smoothly when the outline font file is
>not installed, when the font file or the Fonts folder is damaged, when ATM
>has an insufficient cache, when both the TrueType version and the Type 1
>version of the font are installed, or when an earlier version of the font
>file is installed. Begin troubleshooting by first reinstalling the font,
>then recreating the fonts folder, next increasing the cache, then removing
>duplicate TrueType fonts, and finally by updating your font file.
>
>-	Reinstall the Font
>	Make sure the Type 1 font is not damaged and ATM can locate it by
>removing the font and reinstalling it from the original disks.
>
>To reinstall a Type 1 font in the Fonts folder in the System Folder in
>System 7.1 or later:
>1.	Quit all applications.
>2.	Open the Fonts folder in the System Folder.
>3.	Choose View > By Name.
>4.	Remove the outline and bitmap font files from the Fonts folder in
>the System Folder.
>5. 	Reinstall the outline and bitmap font files from the original disks
>into the Fonts folder in the System Folder.
>
>To reinstall a Type 1 font in the Fonts folder in the System Folder in
>System 7.0x:
>1.	Quit all applications.
>2.	Remove the Type 1 outline file(s) from the Extensions folder in the
>System Folder.
>3.	Remove the bitmap font suitcase from the System suitcase in the
>System Folder.
>4.	Reinstall the Type 1 outline file(s) from the original disks into
> [...]

Hedley Finger
   User documentation and publishing consultant
   Adobe(R) Certified Expert, FrameMaker 5.5

Hand Holding Projects Pty Ltd   ACN 007 418 153
   28 Regent Street   Burwood VIC 3125   Australia
   Tel +61 3 9809 1229   Fax +61 3 9809 1326   Mobile +61 412 461 558
   E-mail hfinger@handholding.com.au