Re: Somewhat related font viewing question

At 11:05 08/10/98 -0400, Debbi Leipold wrote:
>I am looking for a Windows utility that will allow you to view used fonts
>and their technical information (the actual bitmap maybe).  Does anybody
>know of one?

The tools for big girls are

Fontographer (Macromedia) - excels at PostScript

FontLab (Pyrus) - best for TrueType

Both are in Windows (also Mac). They will tell you more than you want to
know about any font - and let you change it all.

Maybe these are overkill. Adobe ATM DeLuxe shows & prints samples.

PostScript fonts have bitmaps, but most people use ATM, which builds
bitmaps 'on the fly' from font outlines to suit screen resolution.

TrueType fonts don't have bitmaps at all: they always build screen images
from font outlines.

Both formats send outline data to printers where bitmaps at the printer's
resolution are built by the RIP (raster image processor) built into or
attached to the printer. (There are exceptions to this, as I'm sure Dov can
point out).

Exactly what and why do you want/need to know?

If you want to know lots more about fonts, come to the ATypI conference in
Lyon later this month. Details at http://www.atypi.org.

Mark Barratt
Text Matters
37 Upper Redlands Road,            Information design:
  Reading RG1 5JE, UK              We help explain things using
phone +44 (0)118 986 8313          .language
fax   +44 (0)118 931 3743          .design
email markb@textmatters.com        .systems
web   http://www.textmatters.com   .process