Re: Encore: draft of posting protocol

On Thu, 1 Oct 1998 16:42:44 -0300, Bill Briggs <web@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

>Due to the number of new subs since this was posted this morning, here it
>is again.  There was a bit of reaction to this thinking we were going to be
>rule bound.  Nothing could be farther from the truth.  These four
>categories of post were the subject of hot debate on the old list about two
>years ago and the job posting protocol was agreed to (i.e., no stated
>dissent).  It was extended to cover things that constitute advertising.  As
>far as other stuff goes, let common courtesy be your guide.

Looks good to me.  I might sugggest, for the Jobs Offered/Sought listings,
some limit on how often the *same* job can be reposted.  On Winhlp-L, one
recruiter was posting the same job every day for about a week, which was
*not* appreciated by many, vocal list members.  Maybe a max of one post a
week for recruiters?  I wouldn't want to close it off, but there *are*
many lists, and NGs, that specialize in this area.  The STC chapters often
put out regional job lists, which IMHO are generally more helpful than the
posts on international lists like ours...

For the New Product category, we might want a specific length limit, like
50 lines or 2K... the typical press-release limit.  And I'd be more into
opening up the definition of kind of product; for example, a macro tool
might not be Frame-specific, but I sure would like to know of it!

Just a few thoughts... let's hear some more!

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/