RE: [question about missing font]

Jim Light wrote:

> I have a FrameMaker book that (somewhere) specifies a font
> that I do not have installed (Helvetica Narrow Bold). I
> generated a list of references and specified Fonts, but this
> font did not appear.
>
> I believe that it is possible to specify a font in weird
> places such as the master or reference page. I looked but I
> cannot find any characters with this font. I even looked at
> spaces. I must be using the wrong technique.

There are much weirder places than that! :-) It's entirely possible that
the font doesn't actually occur in the doc, but is specified in, for
instance, the default instance of a table format.

> Can anyone help me ferret out this rogue font so I can get
> rid of it once and for all? I cannot generate a PDF with
> embedded fonts unless I either buy and install this font or
> find and remove it from the book.

If you're pretty sure the font doesn't actually appear in your doc (and
it sounds like that's the case) and/or you could live with the
substitution that FM makes when it opens the doc (check the console
window), just turn off Remember Missing Font Names (in
File>Preferences), open the doc, and save it. FM will make the font
substitution permanent.

Alternatively, you can save the file as MIF, open with a text editor,
find the font reference(s), and replace with a different font name. More
hassle than it's worth, if you ask me; I'd rather edit maker.ini to set
the font substitution to my liking. YMMV.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer