Fwd: RE: Frame, SVG and pdf

To: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On the Free Framers list, you wrote:
[but... if this is of interest, text in SVG graphics in nevertheless not
searchable in the PDF]

I'm sure you know why this is so, but in case not, here goes:

When FM imports the SVG, it uses the svg2pdf DLL to convert the SVG to PDF. It then stores two facets for the graphic: the original SVG, and the PDF conversion. It is the PDF conversion that gets used for display and output. Unfortunately, when the svg2pdf DLL converts any text in the SVG for the PDF facet, it uses the Asian Identity-H encoding. And the text remains in this encoding thereafter - including in any PostScript or PDF that is output from the FM document.

That wouldn't be too big a problem, except that Western versions of Acrobat Reader cannot search for text that uses the Identity-H encoding. Unless, that is, you find an instance of the text, copy it into the search dialog (when it appears as square boxes), and then search.

If you know of any way to force FrameMaker's svg2pdf DLL to use a more sensible encoding, I'd welcome hearing of it. Or if you have enough influence with Adobe to get them to fix this "feature" in a future release, that would also be good.

And my apologies for posting this direct. I don't subscribe to Free Framers, so can't post there. Feel free to repost what I've written anywhere you like; just please omit my email address.

--

Mike Hardy
Technical Publications, ARM Ltd