RE: Structure FrameMaker reference books

Hi Mark,

It all depends on your need.

If I wanted to use available elements, then the FM User Guide would be fine
but I want to create an EDD from the ground up and to me at least, the
Developer's guide has holes. I find it assumes, in the main, that the reader
wants to create an EDD from an existing DTD. I don't.

I want to fully understand the process from XML to using an EDD and none of
the FM books give this overview (not that I could see after many hours of
reading). The one small section on creating an EDD without a DTD assumes too
much and simply provides a bucket load of building blocks without putting
them into context or giving a definitive reference (some examples would have
been nice).

But you have been fortunate enough to have it all put into context by Shlomo
which is a good head start. I'm afraid I do not have that luxury.

I have some programming skills and in recent times have also learnt HTML,
JavaScript and VBA out of books. I also quite comfortably understand the
concept of structured authoring (having also played around with FM+SGML some
five years ago) so I usually have no problem in connecting all the dots. But
this time...

Maybe I'm just getting old. :)

Cheers.

Bruce Ashley