Structured FM: importing document segment into main document?

I am importing selected segments of an XML document into another document
using xsl (for html rendering) with the xslt document() function, much like
a database lookup using a key value.
Ultimately, the main document with the "merged" segments will be rendered
into PDF via FrameMaker.
My question is, is it possible to get FM to import the fragments from the
secondary document (without resorting to FrameScript) or should I do an
intermediate xsl transformation to XML+fragments before converting the
document to FM format (the main document will be a part of a FM book)?

Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick Waanders