Re: FM7 and Unix - Installation on Server or on Workstations?

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Georg Mees" <g.mees@xxxxxxxx>
> Some of our customers want to buy Framemaker for Unix.
> There will be 2 or 4 persons working with FM on terminals (or Workstations)
> with XWindows.
> My question is: Can I install FM7 (or FM7.1) on the Server (SparcStation) or
> will I have to install it on each terminal/workstation.
> Is it possible to install FM on the server?
> And if it is possible, what happens when 3 persons start FM on their
> terminal.

Yes, you can install FM on a Unix server, and have "floating licenses"
distributed among client workstations. When you start FM from a Unix
workstation, the FM installation on the server is used (the installation
directory must be mounted on the workstation), but the application runs
on the workstation. If you have floating licenses, one license is
reserved as long as you run FM. When FM exits, the license is returned
and made available to other users.

FM on UNIX stores preferences and other settings in a file in your
$HOME directory, so you can have different settings for each user,
but still only one installation of FM. Together with the floating
licenses, it's a brilliant concept made possible by the client-server
approach of X Windows.

Disclaimer: I haven't used FM 7 on Unix, but I doubt if anything
has changed in the way installations and licenses are handled.