Re: FrameMaker - UNIX/Linux

[ The original message appeared on the FrameUsers mailing list.
  This reply is sent only to the "Free Framers" mailing list.
  If this reply is useful, consider copying it to FrameUsers. ]

From: "Pat Christenson" <pchristenson@xxxxxxxxx>
> Has anyone tried loading the Solaris version under Linux? One of our
> developers seems to think that's a possibility. It's been many years
> since I touched Solaris and I've never worked with Linux at all, so I'm
> hoping someone here has explored this path.

No, this is not possible. FrameMaker is a binary executable,
compiled for a certain processor architecture and platform.
The Solaris version of FM is made for a SPARC processor running
X Windows on Solaris, and there's no way to get that to execute
on an Intel PC with Linux. I guess you *can* install Linux on a
Sun box (equipped with a SPARC processor), but I doubt the FM
version would install and run like it should, since it's made
for X Windows and Solaris. You would need to tweak the Linux
installation to look like Solaris to the FM installer...
(I haven't tried this; maybe it's possible)

If you have Solaris and Linux machines running on the same
Unix network, you can of course run FM on Solaris and display
it on the Linux box (the DISPLAY feature in X Windows).