unresolved cross refs

Only about two weeks ago someone had a cross ref problem which was
comprehensively answered on this forum ... the only problem is, I can't find
that email. (Also tried searching the archives, but I understood it doesn't
cover 2004.)

My problem is the same: inserting xrefs only to have the book update and
then suddenly the xrefs are unresolved.

Could the person who had this problem please on-forward the answers and
suggestions?

Much appreciated,
Andrew Wright.