Extra RE: [Fwd: Seeking Cyrillic font advice]

Hi again, Stuart.

Result of more profound discussion of your Q with our partners from Russia:

Lucida Bright font is own of Bigelow and Holmes, Inc foundry. http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=186&FNAME=Lucida+Bright&FVER=1.50

There are EF (from Elsner+Flake) localised family versions of Lucida Bright for CE and Turkish characters (EF Lucida Bright CE and T).
It seems, the Cyrillic version of Lucida Bright font family didn't ever exist yet.

You can either choose Lucida Sans/Lucida Console instead of the Lucida Bright (if you prefer not to use Lucida fonts from Windows, you can buy the whole family in different format/encoding from here, U$24 for each style/encoding/platform format - http://www.paratype.com/ustore/fonts/Lucida_Sans.htm),
or select another Cyrillic enable font with about the same visual text effect.

For selection of a visual analogue of Lucida Bright with right available encoding (Cyrillic in your case) you can use free font vendors' utility called FontOrder http://www.fontstock.com/softdl/fo_eng.exe

Take a look at Baltica, Bell Gothic, ITC Charter e.g.

Verdana font is own of Microsoft Foundry, so we didn't hear about commercial Non-Unicode localised PS version of Verdana, only TrueType http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=1&FNAME=Verdana
So you have no variants to use or not to use Verdana Cyr family by the way we posted in last message.

Regards,
Support Team, Mammoth Elk Translation

TMTQ™.TRANSLATION & L10N TRANSLATION with DTP at NO EXTRA COST
"The True Mother Tongue Quality"™. Service Program
MAMMOTH ELK TRANSLATION™. Fax:
Central European, Greek, Baltic, Scandinavian In UK: +44 870 831 9177
Former U.S.S.R. Republics, Cyrillic, Central Asian In USA: +1 (801) 439 825
Georgian, Turkish, Azeri, Uzbek, Persian (Farsi) In Hong Kong +852 301 03890
CJK, SE Asian Language Service
Service request: Company profile request:
order@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

=======================================
Hi, Stuart.

You could use the same copy of Verdana/Lucida standard fonts you have used for English version of your manual.

All required Cyrillic characters live inside the same copies of Verdana/Lucida TrueType/OpenType fonts.

========cut here========
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes]
"Verdana CYR,204"="Verdana,204"
"Lucida Sans Unicode CYR,204"="Lucida Sans Unicode,204"
"Lucida Console CYR,204"="Lucida Console,204"

"Verdana Cyr,0"="Verdana,204"
"Lucida Sans Unicode Cyr,0"="Lucida Sans Unicode,204"
"Lucida Console Cyr,0"="Lucida Console,204"

Copy / paste this text to Notepad. Save it as text file with Unicode encoding and *.reg extension. Double click on this file.
The Alarm "Are you sure you want to add ...to the registry?" will appear. Select "Yes". Reboot. Take a look on the list of available fonts in FrameMaker.

We hope this helps.
PS. Have in view TrueType at this time is also a part of PostScript so there are not serious reasons to prefer Type 1 against TrueType.