From: owner-framers@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-framers@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Mary Sutton
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 7:23 AM
To: Framers (framers@xxxxxxxxx); Frameusers (framers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx);
'WWP List'
Subject: Graphics Help Needed

Frame 7.1, Windows XP Pro, 384MB RAM, Pentium III processor (800-odd
mHz), WWP 2003 for Frame

Now that I've got all my text content converted from Word to Frame, I'm
working on the hard part - graphics.

My final output is both HTML Help (using WebWorks Publisher 2003) and
PDF, so I need the graphics to be reasonably crisp in both formats.
Using the table in _FrameMaker 7: The Complete Reference_ I chose GIF.
I followed the directions for inserting the graphic and chose the DPI I
wanted based on the desired size of my graphic.  It worked - but the
resolution was horrible. Tried at another DPI, same results.  So I
decided to resize the image in Photoshop, which I did, and imported
again using a DPI of 72, which is what the value was in Photoshop.
Still looked crappy.  And when I mean crappy, I mean *crappy* - the text
in the image was all blurred out and almost unreadable.

So, I decided to try EPS.  All I got was a big gray box and the message
that some graphic elements couldn't be displayed.  Not good at all.

What gives?  Seeing as I need good images for both online *and* PDF, is
there a preferred format?

Thanks,
- Mary
"Anytime you have an efficient government, you have a dictatorship."
Harry S. Truman