Re: About "missing fonts"...

> The problem's gist:  I try to open copies of the files in Windows
> FrameMaker, and the "missing fonts/replace with existing fonts?" alert
> dialog box appears.
> My plaintive cry:  However do I find and fix these "missing" fonts?
>
> Note:  I've ransacked Body, Reference and Master pages, and turned Tables
> inside out.

The first thing to check is what fonts are reported as missing (open the
Console window in Windows). The obivous solution is to install these fonts
on Windows and the problem will go away. I guess you've already done this,
or that the missing fonts really shouldn't be present in the files?

If the reported fonts are the ones you have installed on both systems and
the ones you're using in your documents, you have a problem you must solve.
But, it sounds like you've checked your documents on Windows and found
that they look OK and use the fonts you expect without problems. So my
guess is that the font messages concern fonts you're not really using,
but still are buried somewhere in the files.

If that's the case, simply turn OFF the preference "Remember missing
font names", re-open and re-save the documents on Windows. Then turn the
preference ON again. However, be sure that the fonts aren't really used
somewhere in the documents where a font replacement would be a bad choice.
Have you checked the definitions of every paragraph, character and table
format in the catalogs, regardless if they're applied or not?

You can find the whole story on my web page:
http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/fonts/unavailable.html

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/  (updated on Oct. 29)