Re: PS Printers again

John,

First of all, the AdobePS 4.x series of drivers do not work under
Windows 2000 or XP. They are for use with Windows'95/'98/Me. Secondly,
PostScript would generally be recommended over PCL for any printing
from FrameMaker, or for that matter, ANY application.

In terms of "missing fonts" ... PostScript printers, including your
Hewlett-Packard LaserJet, have "resident" fonts in printer memory.
But such fonts cannot be accessed on your computer unless you explicitly
license and install such fonts on your system. Printers with Adobe
PostScript (the LaserJet does NOT have Adobe PostScript) come with
host-based versions of the printer's resident fonts. I don't know
what comes with the current LaserJets.

You should NOT install any version of ATM that comes on a FrameMaker 5.5.6
CDROM. You don't need ATM Lite unless you have Multiple Master fonts
AND the versions on the FrameMaker 5.5.6 are NOT COMPATIBLE with
Windows XP. For that matter, Adobe does not officially support
FrameMaker 5.5.6 under Windows XP.

For production of PDF, you don't use PCL drivers! With Acrobat 5.0.5,
you "print" to the "Acrobat Distiller" PostScript printer driver instance
installed by Acrobat. That printer driver instance generates PostScript
and automatically feeds it to the Distiller. You don't use ANYTHING from
Hewlett-Packard to produce PostScript for the Distiller.

        - Dov