RE: Photoshop EPS files become inaccessible

Actually, the primary reason why an EPS file from Photoshop is "bigger"
than a TIFF file is that unless you save an an image as an EPS from
Photoshop with the JPEG option, Photoshop applies absolutely NO compression
to the image it places in the EPS file. Virtually all TIFF images are
either LZW or ZIP compressed internally; no such compression is currently
applied by Photoshop when saving EPS although PostScript Level 2 and above
certainly support non-lossy compression.

This lack of compression, along with a by-default ASCII image data
representation (2 bytes of hex data per byte of real data), housekeeping
data in PostScript, plus a TIFF preview header yield a heavyweight file.

Want a lightweight version of same? Save the image as PDF in Photoshop
and then save that PDF file as EPS (with preview header) in Acrobat!
You should achieve some significant savings in file size with no quality
loss.

The other information referred to such as angles, dangles, and paths
would also appear in a TIFF or PDF file.

        - Dov

*