RE: Criminal Activity (Was: Who are these people?)

So, can I get FrameMaker 7.0 for $49.99 too? ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: Dov Isaacs [mailto:isaacs@Adobe.COM]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 1:26 PM
To: Mary Rita Muller
Cc: framers@frameusers.com; framers@omsys.com
Subject: Criminal Activity (Was: Who are these people?)

Rita,

To answer the question posed in your email subject ... one word
..... CRIMINALS.

Whenever we see these offers (or new versions of same) of receive
copies of them forwarded to us from members of the list, we forward
them along to Adobe's legal staff at <piracy@adobe.com>.

They do follow-up on these as best as possible.

One thing is very certain about these offers. Not one of them is
going to result in you obtaining a legal copy of any Adobe product!
According to our legal staff, responding to one of these "offers"
will most likely result in:

(1) A "home burned" CD-R with a copy of the designated program
with a license ID. You are told that the software is an "OEM version"
from "Eastern Europe" and that you should not even try to register the
product. The reason you are told that is that the same license ID is
used by that particular pirate for all copies "sold" of that particular
program. If you do attempt to register the product, you will very likely
hear from Adobe's lawyers. And even if the program installs and runs,
you will not be eligible for any technical support or upgrades in the
future. And you cannot be assured that updates that you download from
Adobe won't subsequently disable operation of software running with
such pirated IDs.

(2) You get nothing, but your charge card is debited for the
price of whatever you have ordered.

(3) You get nothing but a case of identity theft.

We do try to pursue these criminals as best we can. Many work offshore
in either Asia or Eastern Europe. There is nothing we can do to preempt
their email to you. You can do your part by simply not responding to
their bait.

        - Dov