Revising documentsL use change bars or a character tag??

A member of our department (who also happens to be an owner whose job is to write code for  one of our application programs) needs to update one of our manuals. He is very well versed and really the best person to update the manual.

He wanted to use Word (egads!) and note changes with its Change Tracking feature. I told him no, we'd already converted the doc to FrameMaker. He doesn't use FrameMaker at all -- although he did attend a class I taught 2 years ago.

What is the best way for him to apply changes?? Using the change bar or creating a character tag that can be applied to any change? If the latter, then I need some help in creating that tag. I'd like it to be similar to the Emphasis tag that I can apply to any text and it still retains the original attributes (except for the font color and change bar being applied). If I'm on the wrong track -- please advise.

Thanks for your help.

Jane E. Post
Jane@asconline.com