Index generating sans hyperlinks altho checkboxed

Frame 7 under Mac 9.1:

I'm losing hyperlinks on (re)generated book file's index files. What happens
is that each index entries' page number and the blank space after it remain
hot but the text of the entries cease being hot upon regeneration. FWIW
these indexes use two levels plus group titles.

To troubleshoot I've made a new index from within the book, hyperlinks on.
Links are there, and they stay there after an update (immediately done with
no changes to any index entries or markers). Trouble is, a newly-minted
index file takes on the characteristics of the book's first file, a cover. I
typically just import the existing index's formats (tags, ref pages, etc).
After doing so and updating the new index's entries were no longer hot. So I
made a 2nd new index using the same method and this time made manual
adjustments to the tags and the formatting (via reference pages). Upon
updating the text of the entries were no longer hot.

As part of the reference page reformatting I cut/pasted the index entries in
the reference page because they appeared on two pages inserted at the end of
the reference pages (in addition to a single, blank reference page in the
1st position). The reason it took two pages is that the text flow on the
cover file is a small box more or less centered in the layout.

It would appear that something in both the import process and in the manual
process I've engaged in is breaking the hyperlink assignment (I don't know
if my use of IndexToolsPro plays any part). Anyone know whats happening?

Below is the contents of my index reference page:

 1, 2­3
Level2IX
Symbols[\ ];Numerics[0];A;B;C;D;E;F;G;H;I;J;K;L;M;N;O;P;Q;R;S;T;U;V;W;X;Y;Z
<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>
--­‹
Level1IX
openObjectId <$relfilename>:<$ObjectType> <$ObjectId>
<autorange><$pagenum>

[the <autorange><$pagenum> line is italicized via the paraTag's default font
angle popup]

Bart Windrum
GUI Fit&Finish and Documentation
Diogenes Inc.