Re: Visual artifact in displaying regular text

Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:34:49 +0200

Peter G. wrote:

> Fred:
>
> If Ctrl+l fixes the problem, it's a video refresh
> issue. FM is known for this problem, but not so often
> as you report. The frequency may be due to the amount
> of video memory available on your machine, the
> particular video card (brand and model) you are
> using, OS version and service packs or update level,
> video in use by other applications, resolution
> setting, and color depth.
>
> What is the brand and model of your video card? How
> much video RAM do you have? How large is your
> monitor? How high is the resolution? How many colors
> (bit depth)? What OS? Service Pack?
>
> Try setting the resolution to 1024 x whatever, if
> it's set higher than that, and to thousands of colors
> instead of millions, or to 256 colors if set to
> thousands. If a less-demanding display setting fixes
> or reduces the problem, it's a video resource issue,
> or perhaps a defect in the video chips.
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter

Hi, Hans and Peter,

The line spacing is the default for Body format, when
it is defined with 11-point Arial (13 points line
spacing).

As a troubleshooting step, I tried it on two PCs.
Both are Win2K.  One is a laptop service pack 3 (I'm
not sure about the desktop).  The desktop Monitor
Properties is ATI 3D RAGE IIC AGP, 1280x1024 pixels.
The laptop is ATI Mobility M4, with 1400x1050 pixels
and 16 bits/pixel.  However, the problem persists when
set to 640x480 pixels, 256 colors/pixel.  Note that the
problem only exhibits itself at 90% zoom.

Because the problem is consistent across PCs and video
settings, it is may be an ATI bug or an FM bug.  I
don't see the problem with any other app.  However, I'm
usually using the text editor gvim, or the command line
terminal.

Thanks for checking it out.

Fred

P.S.  Sent to comp.text.frame, adobe.framemaker, and
framers.omsys.com.
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics