Re: converting a .fm file to .mif without opening the file inFrame

Lester's excuse, "I was working on something else at the time!" lets him off
the hook. I wasn't doing anything when I saw this request<G>.

On 6/19/03 8:02 PM, "Lester C. Smalley" <lsmalley@infocon.com> wrote:

> Peter beat me to the punch for suggestions (damn those smart consultants
> <VBG>), but I'll add two points:
>
> 1) Copy a good tiff file and renamed the copy. Don't just replace the name, in
> case that  tiff is referenced in the file as well. You will avoid one more
> stopping point in the open process.

Good point!

> 2) If the heroic open succeeds, do not do anything in FrameMaker except Save
> as MIF.
>
> The ESC o H  command bypasses all sorts of checks to 'force' a file to open
> and the content should not be modified in any way.
>
>  *** After a OpenHeroic command, the document should be saved as MIF
>      and reopened prior to editing. ***
>
> This warning appears in the file (cmds.cfg in windows) that is viewable as
> text in Windows and Unix versions of FM, I haven't a clue if is viewable or
> what it's name is in the Macintosh version.

There is no reason to fear the Macintosh. The file is in the FM installation
folder:Samples:ConfigUI:commands (":" on Macintosh is the directory
separator character, like "/" in UNIX and "\" in Windows.)

It's a text file on Macintosh, just as on the other platforms.

Regards,

Peter Gold
               KnowHow ProServices division of HighSoft, Inc.
          See our new on-demand training and coaching scheduling at:
               http://www.knowhowpro.com/schedule_of_classes.htm
Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker 7, FrameMaker+SGML Authoring, Acrobat 5,
InDesign 2, WebWorks Professional Certified trainer
Voice: 650-691-0701 Toll-free outside S. F. Bay Area: 800-795-6066
FAX: 650-691-0995