RE: converting a .fm file to .mif without opening the file in Frame

Peter beat me to the punch for suggestions (damn those smart consultants <VBG>), but I'll add two points:

1) Copy a good tiff file and renamed the copy. Don't just replace the name, in case that  tiff is referenced in the file as well. You will avoid one more stopping point in the open process.

2) If the heroic open succeeds, do not do anything in FrameMaker except Save as MIF.

The ESC o H  command bypasses all sorts of checks to 'force' a file to open and the content should not be modified in any way.

   *** After a OpenHeroic command, the document should be saved as MIF
       and reopened prior to editing. ***

This warning appears in the file (cmds.cfg in windows) that is viewable as text in Windows and Unix versions of FM, I haven't a clue if is viewable or what it's name is in the Macintosh version.