RE: But the file numbering DOES match book numbering

> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:35:49 +0200
> From: "Thomas Michanek" <thomas.michanek@telia.com>
> Subject: Re: Michanek's procedures to locate missing fonts
>

> The problem may be that you're confusing "font name"
> with "family name". You seem to be looking for a family
> name like "Symbol Bold[ed]", whereas FrameMaker would
> consider that as the weight Bold[ed] for the family Symbol.
> That is, these are specified on different lines in the MIF,
> and in different options in the Paragraph/Character Designer.

Thomas,

Of course, you're right.  That's why I did a multi-line
search using vim.  But the search results get really very
confusing.  On the other hand, I hoped that the words
Symbol Bold[ed] *would* occur together because the
missing font message referred to "Symbol Bold[ed]" (with
double quotes).  But I have learned.

> If some of this is not clear on my web page, I'd be happy
> to receive suggestions on how to improve the text.

Actually, I would say the warning message was inaccurate
in referring to the character format as a missing font.
Your web page is very lucid, and invaluable.  Same with
your references to the various forums and politics.  My
only regret in having become more proficient with FM is
that I will be forced at gunpoint to use MS when I
graduate.  I'm sure that it won't even be an issue of
single-license cost, it will be more to be able to
work in a team, or with other partners.  :(  :(  :(

I just had occassion to use MS again, and I experienced
horrible flashbacks of trying to put pictures where
I wanted, broken documents when integrating many
people's work, every single crossreference getting
corrupted time and time again, trying to draw figures
when the view kept panning to the lower left corner.
I'm not religious, but I swear, I saw the place people
go  if they're not good.

Uhm.  Right.  Anyhow.  Back to the present.

The really strange thing is that I can select letters
of font Symbol and also select "bold" in the character
designer.  Yet that combination supposedly doesn't exist.
I'm sure that this has something to do with moving between
solaris and windows regularly, something was bound to get
bent out of shape.  But since the problem is solved, I'll
focus on document composition.

Thanks, Thomas.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics