Re: Get FM stop to asking to save unchanged file

Hello Again Fred,

My email, sent in haste before my 45-mile morning
commute of the day, omitted one important key point
about Modus Operandi, which to me gets most of the
way around your objection to relying on  `Revert to
Saved.'

What I actually do is to invoke  `Revert to Saved'
not only at the END of my session with some file, but
WHENEVER I've just made some change to that file
which I'm sure is NOT a content change, when I'm
through with needing that change to be in effect.
(This M.O. can also go along with saving promptly
after any serious content changes.)

Thus, all NON-content changes get expeditiously
undone.  If that little bottom-of-the-screen asterisk
next to the page count is on when I'm ready to close
up the file, I know that there's been a content change
and that I need to do a save.

The only problem then comes if I slack off and keep
a bunch of non-content changes in effect, while also
making content changes . . .  Usually I don't do that.
Nothing in life comes entirely without cost.

I should note that  `Revert to Save'  is a very fast
and convenient operation.

By the way, even changing the viewing scale factor
from say 100% to 120% turns on that little asterisk!

I've set up another recourse also — setting the
autosave Preference to autosave every two minutes.
Probably sounds paranoid, but it's occasionally been
vital when I got ahead of myself while editing some file.

Chuck Hastings      cwh2@earthlink.net