Re: Get FM stop to asking to save unchanged file

Fred Ma wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My post seems to have gotten lost enroute again....

Thanks, all, for your suggestions.

Regarding David's suggestion, I don't want to turn
off updating, I just want to know when real
changes have been made.  But I would be interested
on where the archive of recent postings can be
searched.

So it looks like I cannot avoid that save message
if I want to be able to browse the document on a
different computer from the one on which it was
generated, unless I save it in view- only.

Regarding Becky's suggestion, I did a search on
Document Info, and it seems to apply to the
generation of PDF documents.  I'm not sure how
it can help in my case, but perhaps I missed the
point.

Regarding Chuck's suggestion, reverting-to-saved
is like saying no to saving the file.  I prefer
not to do this unless I'm sure that the changes
are not content changes.

I realize I can get the exact time-stamps on
solaris on windows (I use cygwin, since I'm more
familiar with unix).  In order to trust the
meaningfulness of the time stamp, I have to avoid
saves when the document changes are not content
changes.  Otherwise, a slightly obsolete draft may
have a more recent timestamp.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics