From: "Richard Melanson" <richard.melanson.rm@us.agfa.com>
To: "David Schor" <Davids@vcon.co.il>
Cc: "'Fred Ma'" <fma@doe.carleton.ca>; <framers@omsys.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 8:25 AM
Subject: RE: Get FM stop to asking to save unchanged file

When I open either a Frame file or a Frame book, I am not asked by Frame to
save either unless I make some sort of change. And I have not made any
changes to my Frame installation to suppress  updating as suggested below.
I think that some type of change is being introduced into your documents as
soon as you open them, maybe missing fonts, that Frame is picking up. I
would suggest that you attempt to ascertain what is happening before you
make changes to your Framemaker installation and configuration. Just my two
pennies, good luck.

Richard A. Melanson
Technical Writer, AGFA Corp.
(978) 658-0200 x5364
richard.melanson.rm@us.agfa.com

                    David Schor
                    <Davids@vcon.        To:     "'Fred Ma'"
<fma@doe.carleton.ca>
                    co.il>               cc:     framers@omsys.com, (bcc:
Richard Melanson/EXJOM/WIL/AGFA/US/BAYER)
                                         Subject:     RE: Get FM stop to asking
to save unchanged file
                    06/11/2003
                    09:14 AM

I asked this very question last September. The response was taken from the
archives - Lester C. Smalley (Archives; Sat, 21 Apr 2001).

To disable this behaviour, enable Suppress Automatic Updating for either
individual files or throughout a book.

In individual files, Edit>Update References>Commands>Suppress Automatic
Updating.

In books, Edit>Suppress Automatic Reference Updating.

Doing this is problematic in individual files because you have to remember
to update your files one-by-one.
If you do it book-wide, updating is more manageable because one update
operation takes care of all files in the book.

HTH,
David

David Schor
Technical Publications Manager