Re: Documented variables for use in TOC?

Thomas Michanek wrote:

> > I generated a TOC file in a book.  All the entries have formatting
> > <$paratext><$pagenum>
> > Now I want to change paratext to
> > a variable that has both paragraph numbering and paragraph
> > text (it's a paragraph heading).  I thought this would be
> > in the online documentation under TOC, but not as far as
> > I can find.  It's also not under variables.
>
> They're not called variables, they're called "building blocks".
> The help page is called "Editing special text flows for lists and indexes".
> See the index of the help/manual. The "<$...>" building blocks are
> also listed at the start of the index.
>
> > I even assumed
> > that the variable names would be the same as those for
> > cross referencing, so I used
> > <$paranum><$paratext>......<$pagenum>
> >
> > Well, it doesn't seem to work, ...
> > Unless there's something really obvious that I'm missing here.
>
> You've used the correct building blocks.
> The obvious thing you may be missing is that you need to
> re-generate the TOC when you edit the contents of the *TOC
> paragraphs on the TOC reference page in the TOC file.
> Or, you're editing the wrong paragraphs on the wrong page.
>
> Only changes to the paragraph formatting made in the Paragraph
> Designer will have an immediate effect on the already generated
> TOC, if you click Update All. All other changes to the *TOC
> paragraph definitions require a Book Update.
>
> --
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
> Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
> mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
> http://go.to/framers/

Thanks, Thomas.  I figured out my problem.  It was because
the first *TOC paragraph definition was Heading4 instead
of Heading1 (they are in reverse order).  I had only changed
the first *TOC paragraph as a test, but I didn't have
any paragraphs of Heading4 in my document.

Fred
--
Fred Ma, fma@doe.carleton.ca
Carleton University, Dept. of Electronics