Re: Locating missing graphics

At 03:24 PM 6/3/03 -0400, Vorndran, Charles P wrote:
>According to the FM7.0 User Guide, page 424, 'Locating missing graphics', if
>you select "Update Document to Use New Path" FM continues to use the new
>path to try to find other missing referenced files while opening the
>document.  It does not specify that this behavior does not apply to *.sgm
>documents.
>
>So I tried it, loading an *.fm document after moving the graphics so as to
>force the dialog box.  When prompted for the first graphics file, I
>navigated to it and clicked Continue.  The file loaded with all the
>remaining graphics without hesitation.  However, when I tried the same thing
>with the *.sgm version, the dialog opened for each and every graphics file
>referenced.  And all the graphics are in the same directory.
>
>So I went back to FM+SGML 5.5.6 and sure enough, I encountered that dialog
>box only one time regardless of the file type I was opening.  All the
>remaining graphics were found without any more input on my part.

Chuck,
  Let me start by paraphrasing your message because it took me several
readings and some testing before I understood your question. FM supports
importing SGML documents in which graphic files are identified either
by an attribute whose value is either the name of the graphic file or
the name of an external entity that identifies the graphic file. If you
open an SGML document and a graphic file does not exist, FM brings up
the Missing File dialog box to prompt for an alternate path name. In
FM+SGML 5.5.6 and FM+SGML 6.0, if there are additional missing files,
the software looks for them in the directory you specify for the first
one. Thus, if all graphics have been moved to a different directory
than the one in which they were originally located, the file can be
omitted with only one Missing File dialog. However, FM 7.0 brings up
the Missing File dialog box for each graphic.
  I have confirmed the above. However, in my tests (which used JPEG
graphics on Windows), the results in 5.5.6 and 6.0 were not satisfactory.
Graphic elements were created in the imported document, and the correct
file was associated with each of them. However, no facets were created
for the graphics, so I got gray boxes instead of the desired file. In
FM 7.0, even though I had to respond to a prompt for each file, viewable
graphics result.
  By the way, not only do FM+SGML 5.5.6 and 6.0 not prompt for successive
files in the original file, but they do not prompt if I then import another
SGML document that uses graphics in the same directory.
  All three versions (FM+SGML 5.5.6, FM+SGML 6.0, FM 7.0) avoid prompting
if the graphics are identified by entities, and the application definition
(probably in sgmlapps.fm or structapps.fm) defines an appropriate entity
search path. FM+SGML 5.5.6 and FM+SGML 6.0 use the entity search path
for graphics identified by file name rather than entity name. FM 7.0 does
not.
  Therefore, if you are using entities, you can solve the problem in
FM 7.0 by specifying an entity search path. If you are using filenames,
you will have to move the graphics, change the SGML documents, or use
an FDK client to locate the graphics correctly.
	--Lynne

Lynne A. Price
Text Structure Consulting, Inc.
Specializing in FrameMaker+SGML consulting and training
lprice@txstruct.com
http://www.txstruct.com
voice/fax: (510) 583-1505
cell phone: (510) 421-2284