Re: PDF Problem -- disappearing text

Hi Gina,

Your issue of the disappearing text was answered, but not the low-res graphics.
The resolution of your graphics depends on: 1) the resolution of the original
graphic (you can't make it better, but you can make it worse), 2) the print
driver you select before you print to your .ps file, and 3) the Distiller Job
Options settings you choose -- or don't choose, and get the default low-res
screen option.

I have slept since I last used Acrobat 4, so I'm going from rusty memory on this
one. But ... you need to change your print driver to "Acrobat Distiller" before
making the .ps file to distill. If you don't have an "Acrobat Distiller" on your
Print Setup dialog box, you can find that print driver in the
Adobe/Acrobat/Distillr/Extras directory and install it. If I remember correctly,
it was called "adistill.ppd". I have no doubt that someone will correct me if
I'm wrong. :-)

After changing to your Acrobat Distiller print driver, you'll open Distiller and
look at the "Job Options" selection. It will likely say "Screen" which creates
very low-res, screen graphics in your PDF file. There will be 2 other options:
Print and Press. Print is designed for laser-printer output, and Press is for
*high-res* commercial printing output (which creates a big PDF file). You should
most likely use the Print setting for your docs, if they'll be printed on an
office printer.

Best of luck!

Becky Swanson
Benchmark Publications Group, Inc.
www.benchmarkpubs.com
"FrameMaker and Acrobat training for documentation professionals"