Re: Acrobat 6 Professional

Actually, both Acrobat 6 and Adobe Reader 6 do a better job in
displaying lines and images than any of the predecessors do.

In terms of images, you no longer need the turn on the "interpolation option"
for images to get reasonable rendering of low resolution images (such as
screen shots) when you view PDF files. The PDF files that already have
that option enabled still look good albeit a tad "fuzzy" but those
without look pretty good also without the "fuzziness" caused by the
interpolation option.

For FrameMaker users, Acrobat 6 and PDF 1.5 do offer some advantages.
These are primarily in the areas of images and image compression.
PDF 1.5 has a JPEG 2000 image compression option which gives better
compression than old-style JPEG without the artifacts. There is also
an option for PDF file compression that yields file size results that
obviates any remaining reason to ZIP or StuffIt compress PDF files
for any space savings. (Prior to PDF 1.5, a ZIP compression of a
PDF file would typically save about 20 to 25%. That savings no
longer exists. Compression is built-in.) However, until more widely
accepted (i.e., more users with Adobe Reader 6) on their desktop,
you probably won't want to create PDF 1.5 for distribution.

Other benefits of Acrobat 6 are (1) its better transparency flattening
(not a benefit for FrameMaker users -- FrameMaker doesn't support of
generate transparency) and (2) improved color management. In the
second case, I contend that you no longer really need to worry about
the RGB versus CMYK thing if you properly setup color management and
printing from Acrobat 6.

In terms of whether to use "Standard" or "Professional", for existing
Acrobat users, this is a "no-brainer!" The "Professional" version is
the successor to Acrobat 5 with some additional features. A number
of features of Acrobat 5 are NOT in Acrobat 6 Standard.

        - Dov