Identity-H encoding in PDFs on Linux?

Hi everyone,

vital statistics: FM 7p578 (unstructured), Acrobat 5.05, WinXP

I've run into a strange thing. I'm creating PDFs with all my fonts set for
embedding (AGaramond, GillSans, Wingdings2) and when a colleague reads the
PDF on Linux with XPDF the Wingdings characters don't show up at all and
the sans-serif fonts look squished together.

When he opened the PDF in Acrobat Reader 5.05 for Linux, everything showed
up. We looked at the embedded fonts and fit said "Identity-H" in the
encoding or Wingdings2 and "Windows" for the encoding for the rest of the
fonts.

When I searched the Acrobat help for "encoding" and for "Identity," I found
nothing that explained what this encoding means or how it is set. I also
found nothing informative when I searched the Adobe user-to-user forums.

Can someone explain this to me? Is there a way to set the encoding so that
all fonts show up on Linux when people use XPDF instead of Acrobat Reader?

Thanks for any help or enlightenment you can offer me.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
         --Albert Einstein