Re: Adobe FrameMaker 7.0p578 Update for Windows Released - English, French, and German

At 4/25/2003 04:28 PM, GLB Publishers wrote:

>It "isn't so" if you properly choose job options for Distiller 6
>to be PDF 1.3 for Acrobat Reader 4 and earlier compatibility OR
>PDF 1.4 for Acrobat Reader 5 and earlier compatibility. Your choice!
>-----------------
>But we will not be able to check for ourselves (quality assurance) the
>appearance of a Acro6  PDF on an earlier form of Reader on the same
>computer.
>
>W. L. Warner
>GLB Publishers®

But that was basically true before as well! Although we "allowed"
users to mess up their systems with concurrent installations of
Acrobat and Acrobat Reader and/or different versions of same
(such installations often terminally bunnystomped upon the
interfaces with the browsers and/or the plumbing between the
PostScript driver and the Distiller), simply stated such
configurations provide(d) a very poor test environment for viewing
PDFs in a typical end-user environment with Reader.

Why? Because you are generating the PDF on a system that is fully
loaded (at least relatively so) with Acrobat tools, all the fonts
that were used in preparation of the PDF file, and probably better-
configured in terms of processor and memory than those of the
recipients of your PDF files. It is much better discipline to "test"
your PDF files under Reader (if you really believe that is necessary
-- and I won't argue that point here) on an independent system under
more realistic end-user conditions. In other words, the test system
should not have the full Acrobat installed and should be devoid of
any fonts other than those installed by default by the operating system
setup. Ideally such a test system should not be "loaded for bear"
(ouch, for a "Dov" that hurts) in terms of processor, disk, and memory
so that you really experience what the recipients of your PDF files
are likely to experience.

        - Dov