Fwd: Question about saving in pdf

Phyllis,

I assume that you are responding to my posting on the Framers lists.

Please understand that I am not part of Adobe Technical Support and
cannot run a private technical support service. I do from time-to-time
respond to questions associated with printing and PDF creation posted
to the email lists. I respond to the lists for the benefit of all the
subscribers to the lists.

In direct response to your question, since you gave precious little
information about your configuration and HOW you actually produce PDF,
I will make assumptions.

The symptom you describe is one that is 99.999% of the time the result
(at least under Windows) of producing PDF by using "save as PDF" under
FrameMaker 6 and earlier OR with any version of FrameMaker, producing
PostScript by printing to the printer driver instance for a "generic"
PostScript printer or a monochrome PostScript laser printer and then
distilling that PostScript. (The PostScript driver generates grayscale
PostScript when encountering a printer driver instance created with
the "generic PostScript" PPD or any PPD for a monochrome printer.)

If you print to the "Acrobat Distiller" printer driver instance (under
Windows) created by the correct and full installation of the full
version of Acrobat 4.0x or 5.0x. Alternatively, if you have the version
of Distiller 4.05 distributed with FrameMaker 6, you must create a PostScript
printer driver instance using the Acrobat Distiller PPD file and use that
to create PostScript via printing to file. Distill that file.

If this does not solve your problem, please contact Adobe Technical
Support.

        - Dov