RE: Fixing condition text mess--RESOLUTION

Ed:

> So it's unlikely that there is any
> conditionally-tagged text that we would miss.

You can find out which conditions are actually used in an entire book by
generating an index or list of conditions.

1    In the book, choose Add > Index Of > References.

2    In the move the Condition Tags item to the Include References list,
and mark the Create Hypertext Links checkbox.

3    Click Add and let FrameMaker generate the index.

This index is of conditions actually used.  So you safely delete all
conditions in each component file that is not included in this index.

> The person working on the docs did a manual clickfest to remove
conditional
> text from one doc, and is satisfied with the results.  Tackling one doc a
> day is reasonable with this approach.  Basically, we are trading away any
> elegance (and the thought/effort needed to implement it) for a
> straightforward approach of "clamp it with Vise-Grips and hit vigorously
> with hammer".

You can also generate a list of conditions actually used.  This is like the
index but, instead of being sorted in alphabetic order of condition tag, it
is sorted in page order, like a TOC.

If you created hyperlinks when generating either document, you can
Ctrl-Alt-click on a page ref or entry to jump to the content to which the
condition has been applied.

Hope this helps,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002