Re: Fixing condition text mess

> We don't have any batch facilities, and although we do have access to a
few
> UNIX licences, I don't see that macros are of much help ...
> (The number of files also argues against MIF conversion and editing,
because
> by the time you've converted to MIF, edited the MIF, and returned to FM
> format you may as well just have done the brute-force condition-deleting
> approach.)

Since you have FM on UNIX, you can use fmbatch to convert to/from MIF.
You can also use my set of MIF scripts for UNIX, that would automate
the conversion to/from MIF and report the usage of condition tags.
You could also remove all hidden conditional text or make all
conditional text unconditional, and compare all condition tags
against a template. Even though you would manually have to "correct"
things in the FM files, you would know which files that actually
use any condition tags (that is, contain conditional text).

All scripts can be run in the background, so you can leave them
over lunch or over night and you'll get results when you're back.
If you know how to run text-based command-line tools in UNIX,
you shouldn't have any problems.

Take a look at: http://w1.184.telia.com/~u18407300/mifscripts/

Thomas Michanek, FrameMaker/UNIX/MIF expert
Technical Communicator, Uppsala, Sweden
mailto:Thomas.Michanek@telia.com
http://go.to/framers/