RE: eps problems

ABSOLUTELY! There are indeed drawbacks! I would strongly recommend AGAINST it!

Officially, FrameMaker really doesn't support "native" .AI files.
What it does recognize are PDF files. Thus, if you save your .AI file
with the option of including PDF content and embedded fonts, FrameMaker 7
might recognize it. If you miss either of these, you can easily get
messed up. Also, there is no guarantee of future compatibility.
In other words, FrameMaker 7's recognition of Illustrator 10 .AI files
is more by accident than by plan.

Better to save Illustrator artwork as EPS and import that into FrameMaker.
The EPS workflow is standard and for purposes of FrameMaker graphic placement,
is not at all lossy compared to placing .PDF or .AI.

        - Dov