Re: Upgrade from Windows 2000 to Windows XP

At the risk of offending your IS folks, I'll comment as follows:

(1) Unless you are running one of very, very, very few programs that
run on Windows XP, but not Windows 2000, there is precious little that
is gained up "upgrading" from Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Windows XP Pro
is basically Windows 2000 Pro with an attitude and a toll booth, minus
support for AppleTalk (for printing). The user interface is a bit
dumbed-down although you can force it to work more like Windows 2000
(which I would recommend). If you are "upgrading" to Windows XP Home,
you are effectively dramatically "downgrading" since there is much
less network and file management support in the "home" version than
there is in the "pro" version (or any version of Windows 2000).
Note that for existing Windows'95/'98/Me users, Windows XP Pro is
certainly the route to go (although Windows 2000 Pro is equally
acceptable).

(2) Although an "in place" upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP is
certainly NOT the disaster that such "in place" upgrades are
from Windows'9x/Me to Windows 2000 or XP, I would strongly recommend
that you do a clean installation, i.e., save your data, reformat the
disk partition, load the OS from scratch and reinstall all applications,
drivers, fonts, etc., and finally restore your data.

        - Dov